Android Apprentice Book Now Updated for Kotlin 1.3! [FREE]
About Android Apprentice
Android Apprentice, 2nd ed. is our book for complete beginners to Android development. Anyone with prior programming experience — like Swift or Java — will get quickly up-to-speed with Android development. And this book is written in Kotlin, the modern, first-class language for Android developers.
Android Apprentice, 2nd ed. will show you how to build four complete Android apps from scratch:
- Timefighter : You’ll get started with Android development by creating a game with a simple goal: tap a button as fast as you can, within a set time limit.
- CheckList : Next, make a simple TODO app with multiple lists. Along the way, learn about layout managers, activities, saving data, and notifications.
- PlaceBook : The third app you’ll make will keep track of your favorite places with photos and maps. Through this, you’ll learn about Google Play services, Room, Google Maps API, and working with photos.
- PodPlay : You’ll round out the book by building a podcast manager with a built-in media player. You’ll cover Android networking, job scheduling, media browser, notifications, and media playback.
The PlaceBook app project will teach you Material Design, a design language that aims to standardize how a user interacts with an app. Card dependencies create an attractive user experience!
Android Apprentice, 2nd ed. is 100% complete and is available today — and it’son sale until Wednesday, May 22 !
What’s New in This Edition?
Android Apprentice, 2nd ed. has been updated to Android Studio 3.3 and Kotlin 1.3.
What’s more, we’ve heard your feedback on digging in a little deeper on some key topics and have expanded content to help you build and deploy your apps with more ease. It also contains:
- Updated support libraries, Google Play, Lifecycle, Room and others.
- Updated code and instruction for the new Mapping SDK.
- Updated content on how to deploy your app to Google Play.
Android Apprentice Authors
You’re in good hands with our seasoned Android Apprentice authors:
Namrata Bandekar is a Software Engineer focusing on native Android and iOS development. When she’s not developing apps, she enjoys spending her time traveling the world with her husband, SCUBA diving and hiking with her dog. She has also spoken at a number of international conferences on mobile development.
Darryl Bayliss is a Software Engineer from Liverpool, currently focusing on Mobile Development. Away from programming he is usually reading, writing on his blog or playing some fantastical video game involving magic and dragons.
Tom Blankenship has been addicted to coding since he was a young teenager, writing his first programs on Atari home computers. He currently runs his own software development company focused on native iOS and Android app development. He enjoys playing tennis, guitar, and drums, and spending time with his wife and two children.
Fuad Kamal provides mobile strategy, architecture and development for the Health & Fitness markets. If you’ve ever been to an airport, you’ve likely seen his work — the flight arrival and departure screens are a Flash 7 interface he wrote towards the beginning of the millennium.
Where to Go From Here?
Android Apprentice, 2nd ed. is available today, in full release and is nearly 700 pages of essential tutorial-style content to jumpstart your Android-development app skills!
Remember, when you purchase this book, you get the digital PDF, e-pub, source code and project files, and free updates!
- If you’ve already bought the Android Apprentice digital edition, you can log in to the store and download the updated version, here .
- If you haven’t already bought this must-have addition to your development library , head over to our store page by Wednesday, May 22 , to grab your copy at our special launch discount of just $49.99 !
- 开源一款Github Android客户端（基于kotlin和组件化）
- 用 Kotlin Native 写 Jni，以后写 Android 基本上要没有别的语言什么事儿了的节奏
- Kotlin for Android
- Kotlin Sealed Classes [FREE]
- Gradle Kotlin DSL 1.0
- Kotlin Suppress 的非常规用法
- How Kotlin’s coroutines improve code readability
- Android testing (Part 3): The power of the Robot pattern with Kotlin
- Deep Dive Into Kotlin Conventions | Get | Set | In | RangeTo
- Issue #362
- Android 之路 (9) - 第一个AS工程代码模板
- (译) Data Binding 将布局视图绑定到架构组件
- WindowManager 逻辑整理
- Android 编译打包的那些疑问
- iOS/Android Google Places Widgets and API Services for React Native Apps
- Android View篇之调整字体大小滑杆的实现
- 58APP Android构建工具升级历程
- Android 之路 (8) - Toolbar - NavigationIcon间隙、Title居中、BackText适配