The 'father of the internet' gave a thumbs up to the Google employees who walked out to pro...
TheGoogle workers who took part in a walkout last month to protest the company's handling of sexual harassment claims have a high-profile supporter in its executive ranks.
The demonstrations delivered the "right message" to Google managers, said Vint Cerf, a vice president at the company and its chief internet evangelist.
"The people who said the company should feel accountable for the misbehavior of employees at all levels in the organization — that's the basic message that that walkout delivered — I think that is the right message for those of us in management at Google to hear," he said.
Cerf is perhaps best known for being one of the "fathers of the internet" for helping developing the technology underlying how data is transferred on the global network. He spoke to Business Insider this week during the "Our People-Centered Digital Future" conference in San Jose.
Although Cerf supported the sexual harassment-related walkout, he was more critical of the protests inside the company over its work to develop artificial intelligence technology for the military as part of the latter's Project Maven. The objections raised about that effort were due to misunderstandings by employees of the work Google was doing and the benefits of working with the military, he said.
- Google raised the age rating on Fleksy's keyboard over a middle finger
- Quantum supremacy: the gloves are off
- Google’s quantum supremacy milestone heralds a brave new world of computing
- 机器翻译都 60 年了，谷歌为什么还译不对「卡顿」 (下)
- The Morning After: Mazda's first EV opens wide with Freestyle doors
- 没有 Pixel 4 也能拍星空，Google Camera 新功能使用指南
- 博士也疯狂：手机不必成为我们的器官 - 对话前谷歌科学家、「出门问问」创始人、CEO 李志飞
- 科技巨头学习烟草公司，通过资助研究引导舆论 | 海外头条
- Google says you might have to wait to play Stadia, even if you preorder