Top 3 Compact Cameras: Panasonic, Sony, Ricoh
Your talent—and Instagram following—has outgrown your phonecam. Start the new year by getting serious about your photography with one of these smallshooters.
1. Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
A smidge bulkier than the other models here, the GX9 offers added capability, like a 20.3-megapixel sensor and a full array of manual controls. Rich black-and-white film simulation modes and focusing features suited for astrophotography make it an alluring portal to artistic experimentation. It also plays nice with nearly any micro four-thirds lens. $ 1,000 (body only)
2. Sony RX100 VI
The most recent camera in Sony’s revered RX100 line is its best yet, with a massive 1-inch, 20-megapixel sensor that slurps up color and detail no smartphone camera can match. In an elegant touch, sliding the electronic viewfinder up and into position also powers on the camera, putting you in shooting mode with an easy flick of your thumb. $ 1,200
3. Ricoh GR III
The GR III squeezes a 24-megapixel sensor and in-camera stabilization into an impossibly compact magnesium case. That pocketability means you’ll always have it, ready to capture that decisive moment. And even given the small size, you'll still get print-worthy images . There’s no built-in flash, so you’ll learn to use available light, and the fixed f/2.8 lens will teach you to zoom with your feet instead of a rocker switch. Price TBD
Styling by Audrey Taylor
This article appears in the January issue.Subscribe now.
More Great WIRED Stories
- Tips for using Siri toautomate every step of your day
- How robo-cars handle the tricky humanact of merging
- PHOTOS: 20 years of drought ravaging Southeast Iran
- What California's wildfires teach us aboutdata sharing
- Can rapper 2 Milly win his Fortnite dance move lawsuit ?
- :eyes: Looking for the latest gadgets? Check outour picks,gift guides, andbest deals all year round
- :envelope_with_arrow: Want more? Sign up for our daily newsletter and never miss our latest and greatest stories