The myth of “stage agnostic” investing
Hello and welcome back to Equity , TechCrunch’s venture capital-focused podcast, where we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
This week we were helmed by Kate Clark , Alex Wilhelm , and yet another extra special guest. Unusual Ventures co-founder and partner John Vironis joined us to talk soil investing (yes, it’s a thing), seed investing, growth investing and all the somewhat meaningless funding stages.
Vrionis was a longtime investor at Lightspeed Venture Partners and has made big bets on a number of companies, including AppDynamics, Heptio, and Mulesoft.
It was a great episode that kicked off with some conversation around DoorDash, the food delivery company that continues to make headlines week after week. We’d like to stop talking about the company, but it intrudes regularly into our notes.
This time DoorDash bought a few companies , purchases that appear set to allow the firm to boost its investment and research into self-driving delivery robots. (Kate saw one in the wild recently!)
Next we went deep into the subject of seed. John, of course, has been a seed investor for years and has lots to say on the topic. Mostly, we discussedKate’s latest piece on mega-funds making an increasing number of deals at the earliest stage. John doesn’t think “stage-agnostic” investing makes any sense. You need experts at each stage making bets on a specific type of company. In his words, ‘a heart surgeon wouldn’t deliver your baby, right.”
Then we moved onto one of our favorite subjects, namely direct listings, the IPO market, and if money is too often left on the table. The question takes on extra import when we see results like Dynatrace’s IPO, which rose around 50 percent its first day . It seems likely that we’ll see other companies pursue the sort of direct listingsthat Spotify and Slack managed .
That segued us brilliantly into our final topic: Airbnb and its financial health . The firm, we reckon, is a good candidate for a direct listing itself. We talked over its numbers, and if we were to sum our perspectives, we’d say that Airbnb is about as impressive as we expected.
All that and we had fun, as usual.
- 他杀入民宿获Airbnb 500万美金投资 在21城设计3000套民宿 入住率82%
- Airbnb 上线了 15000 个当地体验项目，除了预定民宿，你还能找到当地最会玩的达人
- FairBnB is an ethical alternative to Airbnb, coming in 2019
- Asana raises $50M, Airbnb gets a new CFO, and a 2019 IPO preview
- 全球科技媒体头条| 三星走向朝韩非军事区挑战云计算巨头
- 不只是租赁 Airbnb推新产品进军住房设计和建造市场
- ncspot, ncurses spotify client written in rust
- Spotify’s 2018 Wrapped feature is now live and ready to take you down memory lane
- Spotify for Xbox One now works with Cortana voice commands
- JioSaavn becomes India’s answer to Spotify and Apple Music
- November in Africa: Spotify expands and drones protect wildlife
- Mighty Vibe review: A much improved iPod Shuffle for Spotify