Jeff Bezos just cashed in $1.8 billion worth of Amazon shares, in what could be his biggest...
Jeff Bezos just sold a whole bunch of Amazon stock.
According to Amazon filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Wednesday night, Bezos dumped 965,612 shares in the final three days of July, at a value of around $1,900 per share.
That means the world's richest man just bolstered his cash reserves by more than $1.8 billion. Bezos' total net worth stands at $117 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
Forbes said the sell-off could be Bezos' largest in dollar value since he founded Amazon in 1994 and grew the online retailer into a near-trillion dollar company.
The 965,612 shares represented 1.6% of his total holding in Amazon, which now stands at 58,142,479 shares following the July sell-off.
Bezos said last year that he liquidates $1 billion of Amazon stock every year to pay for his rocket company, Blue Origin. "The only way I can see to deploy this much financial resource is by converting my Amazon winnings into space travel," he said in an interview with Axel Springer CEO Mathias Dopfner.
It is not known if the cash from his July sale will also be put towards Blue Origin. An Amazon spokesman did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
- Microsoft, Amazon back a SoCal company making microchips specifically for voice-based apps
- Secret documents from US antitrust probe reveal big tech’s plot to control or crush the com...
- HBO Now subscribers can continue to stream on Amazon after all
- Amazon gets FCC approval to launch 3,236 low-Earth broadband satellites
- Amazon gains FCC approval for Kuiper internet satellite constellation and commits $10 billi...
- Big Tech's blockbuster earnings undermine their arguments to Congress that they aren't that big
- Big Tech CEOs to face off with Congress
- Jeff Bezos will testify about how Amazon is the quintessential American company
- Has Jeff Bezos ended world hunger? Twitter account skewers Amazon chief’s absurd $178B fortune
- Jeff Bezos Makes $13 Billion in One Day During Pandemic
- Musk, Obama, Biden, Bezos, Gates—bitcoin scam hits Twitter in coordinated blitz