Don’t update Twitter for Android — it crashes (but you can fix it)
Are you struggling to fire up the Twitter app on Android? You’re no the only one . Tons of people are reporting the app crashes at launch after getting the latest update (8.28.00). Don’t fret, though: there’s a way to fix it.
Twitter has already confirmed this blunder on — you guessed it — Twitter, but an official fix is still on the way. In the meantime, there are a few workarounds you can try to get the app to run as expected.
Obviously, the easiest way to avoid this issue altogether is by not updating the app. Indeed, that’s what Twitter suggests.
We’re investigating a problem with the latest version of our Android app that causes it to crash immediately once it’s opened. If you use Twitter for Android, we suggest not updating it until we let you know it's fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience!
— Twitter Support (@TwitterSupport) January 21, 2020
If you’re one of the unlucky users that got the automatic update, though, there’s still a way to get the app to work.
As some users have pointed out on Reddit, clearing the storage and the cache of the Twitterapp seems to fix the issue. All you need to do is head to Settings , click Apps and notifications , select Twitter, and then locate the storage and cache menu. The option to empty cache and storage should be accessible there.
Personally, this is the method I used, but there’s another alternative. Redditors are noting that manually downloading the update from Google Play also fixes the crashing, but I haven’t had a chance to try that yet.
If none of those tricks work, your only option is to stick it out until Twitter rolls out an official fix. Or use the desktop version. Or switch to an iPhone. The real question is: How much do you crave petty quarrels over insignificant issues in your social media feed?
- Twitter faces FTC probe, likely fine over use of phone numbers for ads
- Satoshi Nakaboto: ‘Twitter hacker who owns 300 Bitcoins has bail set for $725K’
- Twitter warns investors of possible fine from FTC consent order probe
- 攻击奥巴马、盖茨推特账号 骗取逾10万美元比特币的17岁嫌犯被捕
- Prosecutors claim to have caught teenage mastermind behind Twitter hack
- Daily Crunch: Florida teen arrested in Twitter hack
- Algorithm reveals which new emoji Twitter users most desire
- Twitter has shut down former KKK leader David Duke's account
- Twitter says ‘phone spear phishing attack’ used to gain network access in crypto scam breach
- Twitter expands its Stories-like Fleets to the Netherlands
- Beware of find-my-phone, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth, NSA tells mobile users
- 派评 | 近期值得关注的 12 款 App
- Apple-owned Dark Sky shuts down Android app